Saturday, March 26, 2005

Last Week in Fresno

My last week in Fresno was filled with fun and activity! On Thursday the 17th, my good friend, former roommate, and 2003 Road Trip partner, Gloria, arrived from Washington, having just returned from her DTS (Discipleship Training School) in Puerto Rico and Colombia. As always, we enjoyed lots of laughs and late-night talks. I'm convinced Gloria and I were meant to be roommates--the most natural thing we can do is be together, no matter how long we've been apart. Whether it's talking about something as insignificant as bobby-pins, or as important as effective discipleship methods, we can talk together incessantly. What a blessing to be able to spend part of my last week with such a dear friend!

Sunday the 20th was a non-stop day, beginning with a St. Patrick's Day lunch at my Dad's, continuing with an Open House Goodbye Party, moving to my last night at The Well, and finishing up with a movie night at Aunt Robyn's. This was also the day Ben from Alabama arrived! I can't really say "Ben" without also saying "from Alabama"--the two are so closely associated in my mind :-). It was a great treat to have Ben stay with us the last days before I left. On Monday, we drove up to Yosemite for the day and enjoyed the beauty of one of God's most amazing works of art. There was never a dull moment, between my unending attempts to plan each minute and Ben's natural tendency to "Take It Slow" (thanks John Legend!). Ha! If I've ever seen a more pronounced difference between Meyers-Briggs' Judging and Perceiving personality components, I don't know where it was! As his visit came to an end, I couldn't help but just be thankful to have a friend like Ben; my life is richer because of him. Again, such a blessing to have him stay with us.

I can't think of a better way to have spent my last week at home before the next adventure. Thanks to all those who came to visit, who came to the Open House, who sent their love and good wishes through phone calls and emails. It takes pretty special people to remain faithful friends across the miles, when it takes more effort than the convenience of living in the same city requires. So I hope all of you enjoy reading about my experiences the next few months. I'll try to make this as interesting as possible! :-)

No comments: