Friday, March 31, 2006

I Have A Friend!

So yes, it’s true. After nearly 6 months in Kyrgyzstan, it seems I have finally made a friend who is not another volunteer, a family member, or a student! Early in January I was walking to the post office when a girl who looked about my age said to me in English, “Hello Liza.” I had never seen her before, so I had no idea how she knew who I was; it turns out her sister is one of my 10th grade students, and her mom is the post office lady! She’s currently studying English at the university, and I immediately sensed we could be friends.

But a month passed and I didn’t see her again. Then one day, as I was taking a walk in between classes, there she was walking down the street again! This time I invited myself to her house, and we had a great time talking and having tea. I again felt that this was someone I could actually be friends with. She is 20 years old and I found out she’s been married for 6 months! She lives with her husband, his younger brother (who also happens to be in one of my 6th grade classes) and her husband’s grandparents. I was pleased that now I knew where she lived, so I could find her again and be more proactive about becoming friends.

Unfortunately, however, nearly another month passed during which I just never got myself over to her house. Then one Monday after my classes, I decided enough was enough, and I dropped by her house. She was so excited to see me, and said she had wanted to come visit me, but she just couldn’t find the time, as daughter-in-laws in Kyrgyzstan are expected to do much of the work around the house. But it was ok, because this time, I had a plan: I asked her if I could come over more regularly, and I would help her with English and she could help me start learning Russian. She responded with more enthusiasm than I could have expected, saying, “I want you to come every day!”

So for the past month or so, I have been visiting Gulmira not every day, but many. Four days a week after my classes I go to her house; 2 days we study English and 2 days Russian (unfortunately, I am not a very good student!). It’s great! And quite hilarious. Whatever language we are studying, they usually always develop into an amusing mixture of Kyrgyz, Russian, and English—sometimes all in one sentence! One time, I went to her house on a weekend and we made pizza together, which was so much fun! Her grandfather-in-law loved it and told me I should make it every day :-). Last week there was a holiday and they invited me to their celebration; I wore a long dress and a headscarf and I was the hit! We have a lot of fun together. I love having a friend, having somewhere to go besides school and home, somewhere I am warmly welcomed, and the feeling of being slightly more incorporated into my community. Gulmira has definitely brightened my life, and I think I have brightened hers. Yay for friends!

1 comment:

Anil P said...

Nothing like having someone to relate to other than from the workplace. It just frees one from restrictions and lets you have nice conversations. :)