Thursday, September 21, 2006

Happy Birthday to Me!!

On September 13th, I celebrated not only my 26th birthday, but my one year anniversary of leaving home for Kyrgyzstan. Needless to say, it was quite a milestone! So in the grand tradition of Lisa & Birthdays, I threw myself a party! This one was Kyrgyz-style, which basically means having a ridiculous amount of food and working all day to prepare J.

I should mention that my day started with a phone call from home, where my mom had gathered almost my whole family together (cousins, aunts, grandparents, etc.) for a birthday dinner in my honor (the morning of the 13th here was the evening of the 12th back home). She even prepared one of my favorite meals, the fine dining cuisine of tater tots and smoked sausage. Everyone sang to me (which made me cry), and then I got to talk to everyone individually (which also made me cry…). But despite all the crying, it was a wonderful way to start my birthday.

After a couple classes in the morning, it was time to get ready for the party!! I tried to make pizza (Michaela’s comment was, “I’ve had better.” It’s a good thing everything’s good with onion dip!), and my host mom made my favorite Kyrgyz food, perojkies. Yum! Plus, of course, the general spread, which you can see in the pictures. A few of my volunteer friends came out, and I also invited a few local friends as well. It was great to have everyone over to help me celebrate. I even got gifts! In addition to the ones people brought, I also received 2 packages that day! One from my Grandpa Freeman and another from Road Trip partner and all around fantastic friend, Gloria. Quite impressive timing for both of them to arrive ON my actual birthday! Gloria’s package even included a package of birthday candles, which we were able to use right away on my cake. What a blessing!

And probably one of the best birthday presents was the phone call I got from Kristen that evening, which enabled me to totally skip out on the cleaning! I just HAD to take that call from America, you know. I couldn’t help it if all the dishes happened to be washed by the time we finished our conversation J. I also got a birthday call that evening from Kristen’s parents—my second family. And then I was absolutely exhausted and slept like a rock. The only way it should be after a birthday, right?

I was woken from the dead sleep the next morning (my birthday evening in the States) by a phone call from my dad and step-mom, who had tried to call me several times the night before, but couldn't get through because I was just so popular!

Thanks to everyone who called, sent emails, and sent packages that I know will be coming soon! I should also mention that the party was made possible my money left over from what was given to me for my time in Bishkek last month, so thanks again to everyone who gave towards that! So my first Kyrgyzstan birthday was a huge success. Here’s to a great 26!

p.s. For some reason I'm having trouble posting pictures today. Hope to get some up soon!

No comments: