Saturday, September 03, 2005

Countdown & Send-Off Party

Well, I've had a fantastic summer resting and relaxing at home, catching up with friends, and trying to stay cool :-). But now the countdown is really on with just a little over a week before my departure with the Peace Corps! I leave on September 13--which also happens to be my 25th birthday--for Philadelphia, where I will have 2 days of orientation with the Peace Corps. Then on September 16, I will fly out to Kyrgyzstan with the rest of the volunteers! It's hard to believe the time is almost here. I feel almost as if I'm in some form of denial. I've done my best to mentally prepare for this huge transition, but have come to the conclusion that I will never be able to fully grasp the magnitude of it. So basically I've stopped trying to grasp it, and have decided just to accept all the emotions as they come. Around the 3 week mark I had one of what I call my "freak-out moments," when I realized my departure was in the very near future. Since then, I feel like I have just been going with the flow of preparations with a fair level of stability. We'll see how I feel when the 13th rolls around :-)

This next week will be full of practice packing runs, final preparations, and time spent with my closest of friends and family. I feel like there is a fair amount left to do, but I'm not overwhelmed at the moment. As long as I continue managing my time well, I should be ok!

Last Saturday, my best friend Kristen and her husband Joel hosted a Send-Off (& early Birthday Party) for me at their house. It was a great time! Thanks to all the people who came; it was so good to see everyone and to say goodbye with a celebration. We had a great time together with lots of food & activities, and I was blessed to be prayed for by everyone at the end. I feel very supported and loved by some wonderful people; your love, support, and prayers will uphold me while I'm gone. You can enjoy some pictures from the party below!

Finally, I want to post my address while I am in training my first 3 months in Kyrgyzstan (September 18-December 9, 2005). I should have fairly regular internet access, but if you want to write or send packages, they can be sent to the following address:

Kyrgyz Republic
722140, Kant City
Mailbox #23
97 Linina Street, RUPS
Lisa Freeman

I hear mail takes about 6 weeks on average... Once I know where I will be living after training, I will let everyone know as well.

Ok, well, my next post may well be from Krygyzstan! I will keep this updated as much as I can while I'm away. The Next Great Adventure soon to commence....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Lisa!