Thursday, November 06, 2008

Historic!


I will never, ever forget November 4, 2008.  I am convinced I will never experience an election this monumental again in my lifetime.  It was spectacular.  Incredible.  I am so proud of America.  I am so proud that Barack Obama will be my president in 2 short months, the first African American president in our history.  

I know not everyone is as proud as I am, but regardless of your views, you have to admit: magic was in the air last night.  Magic, at least, was in the streets of DC--a city that went 93% to Obama.  For an Obama supporter, there wasn't a better place in the nation to be.

I went to an election watch party with some friends, and we eagerly watched and cheered as polls gradually closed from east to west across the country, and states were called.  Every state called for Obama was met with resounding shouts of "O-BA-MA!" and "YES WE CAN!" as people yelled and hugged and high fived and toasted.  The electoral votes went up: 69, 123, 207 as Obama garnered swing states like Ohio, Indiana, Florida, and Virginia.  The atmosphere was electric as we waited in anticipation for what we all hoped was the inevitable.

I don't think any of us expected it to happen as quickly as it did.  As 11pm approached, we counted down to polls closing on the West Coast.  "5... 4... 3... 2... 1...!" we shouted together. And then seconds later, it flashed across the television screen: "BARACK OBAMA ELECTED PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES."  The place erupted with screams and shouts of elation!  We couldn't believe our eyes!  And then within minutes, McCain conceded and it was official.  History had been made.  Barack Obama had been elected president.  The District went wild.  On every street everywhere people were celebrating.  I laughed, I cried, I hugged, I texted, I called (YES, I called!  I called EVERYONE!  Thanks to those of you who answered and listened to me shout that WE DID IT!  WE WON!!).  Cheers of "Yes We Can" changed to "YES WE DID!"  Yes, I will remember November 4, 2008, for the rest of my life.  

Today I was talking to a classmate of mine from Egypt, who did not get to vote, but helped work the polls all day.  He told me, "America won yesterday.  Congratulations."  It made me so proud.  America, we won.  Yes, we did!

No comments: