Sunday, March 29, 2009

'Cousin' Just Doesn't Cut It



People just didn't seem to get it.  When I told them my cousin was coming to visit, they would nod and smile and say something to the effect of "Oh, that's nice."  I would think, "No, no, you don't understand.  My cousin STEVE is coming to visit!"  For them, my excitement-level was just not commensurate with the word 'cousin'.  And I realized it's true: I have yet to meet anyone with a cousin-relationship like Steve and I.  For most people, the word cousin conjures up thoughts of a relative they saw at the family reunion 6 years ago.  But even when I tried to explain, "Well, he's my cousin, but really he's my best friend," it still seemed puzzling to people (probably not in part due to the fact that most people, I've recently realized, also do not mean the same thing when they say 'best friend' as I do when referring to Kristen; don't get me started on that!).  

So it became a conundrum really.  How to explain Steve to people who have no frame of reference for the type of bond we've developed over the last 28 years of life together.  Some of my friends finally started to get it after they met him, and Crista suggested the term 'Cousinman', which was later augmented to 'Cousinman to the Power of Pi' after she discovered his penchant for math (and after a few drinks. ha.).  But in the end, even though it's hard to explain to people who don't already know, it just makes me all the more grateful to have a cousinfriend like Steve when I remember how much of a rarity relationships like ours are.

And we had a blast while he was here last week!  The timing of it couldn't have been more perfect, as the family I live with/work for has been in Italy for the last week for the kids' spring break. So not only did Steve and I have the house to ourselves, but I didn't have to work at all! In addition, I spent MY spring break (a couple weeks ago) being as productive as possible so I wouldn't have to do any school work while he was here either.  So we had 5 whole days to hang out without any other responsibilities.  What an amazing gift!

We made sure to hit all the hot spots: Bailey's milkshakes at The Diner, 
Eastern Market, The Mall, Ben's Chili Bowl, 
Smithsonian Air & Space Museum, margaritas at Guapo's, 
Monuments at night, and the National Zoo.  
On Sunday evening I had a potluck dinner at my house so Steve could meet some of my friends and vice-versa.  That was a ton of fun (also the advent of 'Cousinman'), and Steve even tolerated Shilpa and I singing along to 'NSYNC (will someone please tell me why I do not own a karaoke machine??).  We completed a DC-on-Foot card in the Shaw district, Steve came with me to one of my favorite classes, we went out to dinner with my future roommate Arnila, and we stayed in one night for a Chinese food & movie night.  We also had a great time sleeping in late, talking, laughing (which often involves me being so incredibly ridiculous that Steve can't help but laugh at me), riding the Metro, and just enjoying each other's company.  It was a great visit; so so good to have Steve here and get a small break from normal life.  Thanks for coming cuz!!

So now half of the Inner Circle has made it out to DC.  Kristen and Derek, you're next! ;-) 

No comments: