Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Facebook & Text Messaging Are My Friends


 







Between nanny duties, TA responsibilities, never-ending school work, and the attempt to get at least 7 hours of sleep each night, the 24 hours of the day are pretty quickly claimed.  As a result, I find that my email inbox often goes unattended to, and voice mail messages take weeks, sometimes months to return.  For most of my life, I have prided myself on the fact that I am good at keeping in touch with people, but in this season, I find there just isn't a lot of time for good long Lisa-emails  or phone conversations.  Sometimes I feel bad, like I am being flaky and letting the ball drop on relationships, but at the same time I know I can only do so much with the time I have, considering life's current demands.  

I apologize to everyone who has been waiting for a returned phone call or an email response. I'm not as good at these things as I once was.  But I still deeply value the people in my life and want to maintain my relationships.  It is for this reason that, as the title of this blog states, Facebook and text messaging are my friends.  When I am thinking about someone, it's not always possible to give them a call or write an email with a full life update; but I can send a text, or write a comment on their Wall.  It's not the same as an hour-long conversation, but it helps me feel connected to the people I care about when there isn't time for more.  It's not a heart-to-heart, but it's something.  And for the possibility of that 'something', I am very thankful for technology!

So if you get a text from me that seems a little out of the blue, or a Wall comment just to say hi, it just means I'm thinking about you (and probably praying for you!), and it's my way of trying to stay connected in the midst of a demanding season of life.  I know it's not sufficient, but my hope is that it will tide us over until the end of the semester when there will be time for that good, long chat :-)           

No comments: