Sunday, May 17, 2009

Friends


I've been thinking lately about an aspect of true friendship for which I'm more and more grateful: Friends are favors.  Close friends are people you can call and, without any small talk, ask for help; they're the people who, when they ask you for something, your immediate response is 'of course'; friends do things for each other and don't have to be effusive about their gratitude, because that is just what friends do.  

Friends:
  • take you to the airport, even at insanely early hours (sisters are friends, too).
  • pick you up from the airport.
  • let you wait until LOST is over to pick them up from the airport :-).
  • are people you can call to look up directions for you on the internet when you're driving and lost.
  • help you with your taxes.
  • give you rides when you don't have a car, even when it's completely out of their way.
  • take care of you when you drink too much (but of course that's never happened to me! ;-)).
  • leave their house immediately to come meet you when you call in tears, no questions asked.
  • pray for you when you need it.
  • lend you things, like kitchen utensils and air mattresses.
Of course friends are more than just favors, but more and more I appreciate how the depth of relationship provides a platform for these simple things.  You need me?  I'm here for you.  I need you?  You're there for me.  Whether it's my taxes or my tears, I know you will give of yourself to help me.  Thanks so much friends.  

2 comments:

Derek said...

I'm happy to be a favor anytime!!!!!

I have two to add to the list...
-Friends teach you how to drive stick shift and risk their life in the process.
-Friends help you move, in hot conditions, even when moving boxes labeled "Misc Junk".

143!

Jen Anderson said...

so articulate, so true, so thankful.
i love you, Lisa.