Saturday, May 30, 2009

Hello Sweet Summer


It's hard to believe that a month ago today I turned in all those papers and finished my semester!  I'm certainly a bit behind on my promised summer update.  So I'll break it down into three main sections...

INTERNSHIP
In April I wrote a blog about trust, and how I was trusting God to make a way for me this summer, not knowing what it would hold in terms of an internship or a job.  Shortly after I decided to move out of my house and leave my nanny job, I was offered a full-time, paid internship at the Peacebuilding and Reconciliation department of World Vision International, an international relief and development organization.  Working 8-5 is an adjustment, but I love having my nights and weekends free.  Now two weeks into my work, I don't know if I could have found a better fit for my interests and skills.  I love my job!  First of all, it should not go unsaid that paid internships are nearly unheard of in this city.  It's such a blessing to be receiving a livable income along with my three units.  But I'm also so thankful that I'm doing an internship that allows me to make real contributions, not just serve coffee and make copies (note: I have yet to serve anyone coffee or make one photocopy).  The majority of my time is focused on supporting the Peacebuilding team's work facilitating conflict analysis workshops and updating an instability index that rates the relative instability of the 77 countries in which World Vision has offices.  The people I work with are top-notch and I'm enjoying learning from them as I experience how academic knowledge is translated into practice in a world riddled with complex problems.  

KATHY'S VISIT
One of the things I love about living in DC is that people actually come to visit me!  I've been thrilled to host Gloria and Steve this year, and to see numerous others who have come through the city for various reasons: various Peace Corps K-13s and 14s, Sarah Hawkins (McCord), Aunt Robyn, and my cousin Katelyn (and there are probably some I'm forgetting; forgive me!).  And this last week, it was my pleasure to host my Aunt Kathy!  It was such a blast to have her here, and to be able to put her up in my own place!  The timing of her visit worked out perfectly, since I am only renting this apartment for the month of May.  We had such a good time visiting, sightseeing, eating (LOTS of eating), and laughing.  I was so thankful for her generosity in paying for numerous delicious meals, Obama paraphernalia, books, groceries, and museum entrance fees.  We had so much fun sneaking food into the concert arena of Wolf Trap Park, watching a Memorial Day fireworks show to set to songs like 'Dancing Queen' and 'My Girl' (??!), traipsing around the city on foot and bus and metro, and laughing until our sides almost burst about 'Catflexing.'  I'm so glad she was able to come and spend a whole week with me!

MOVING
The short building in the middle is the apartment building I've been living in for the last month, viewed from the top of the National Cathedral.  Yes, my apartment is right across the street from this beautiful landmark, and in fact, I'm looking at it from my window as we speak!  It's been great to be here and have the apartment all to myself, but tomorrow I will say goodbye to Wisconsin Avenue and hello to my new place on the other side of town.  I'm moving into a house with a good friend from my program, Arnila, and two other girls in South East DC.  Though living alone suits my introvert proclivities well, I'm excited to have roommates again!  I'll be farther from school, but I'm looking forward to living in a more central area closer to Capitol Hill (and my internship) that doesn't feel so much like the suburbs.  I'm looking forward to living with some fun girls; I've missed having roommates over the last few years.

So that, my friends, is my overdue three-pronged update!  I give thanks to God for his goodness to me in so many ways.  He has provided everything I need and more this summer.  Smiles all around :-)    

No comments: