Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Where Idealism Comes to Die?


I recently heard someone say this about DC, and it made me question, where, exactly, does idealism come to live?  Does idealism live in the heart of Darfur?  In the IDP camps in Sri Lanka?  In the failed state of Somalia? Or does it live inside the walls of our churches, the halls of our Christian colleges, the yards enclosed by white picket fences of our suburbs?  If these are the only places idealism can survive, maybe idealism isn't much use to us after all.  Maybe, in fact, idealism needs to die.  

Is this completely cynical and jaded?  I hope not.  I don't feel particularly cynical nor jaded, and I'd hope that after just 28 years of life, I wouldn't be either of those two things.  Is it just realistic?  I don't like using that word, either.  (1) It carries connotations of a particular political philosophy to which I certainly don't subscribe, and (2) The word seems to be used whenever you want to imply that anything other than what YOU think (being realistic, of course) is not grounded in reality.  So no, I wouldn't say cynical, jaded, or realistic, but I don't know how I feel about idealism.

Processing out loud, I made the comment to a friend about idealism maybe needing to die, and he responded in shock that I, someone in the field of peacebuilding, could feel this way.  Why shouldn't I feel this way?  What is it about supporting peace that means I must be an idealist?  I am not in the field of conflict resolution because I hope for some naive, Miss America interview answer, utopian ideal of a perfect peaceful world.  I know this is not going to happen.  I'm in this field for the opposite reason: because I see mess and brokenness and war and suffering people all around and I think, we have got to do something about this.  To me, building peace isn't about idealism; building peace is hard work.  Plain and simple.

After a year of grad school, studying the contexts of places like Mindanao, Sierra Leone, Northern Uganda, Mozambique, Northern Ireland, Afghanistan, and Nepal, I think I may have become more of a pessimist about peace.  Conflicts are incredibly complex, and peace cannot be built in a day.  Some countries have been experiencing war for 30 years, and that kind of destruction, that kind of institutionalized animosity, cannot be reversed by one intervention at one point in time.  But am I deterred by this?  No.  In fact, the awareness of the great need motivates me to contribute my part.  To work hard.  To be faithful to do what I can to help.  I don't deceive myself to think my small contribution will fix everything, but I know that it is necessary.  

In some ways, I think idealism can also be dangerous.  When ideals are dashed, disillusionment can set in, and people might be tempted to give up entirely.  What is your response when faced with overwhelming brokenness?  Do you give up, or do you jump in and tackle the problem?  I may not be an idealist, but I am not without hope.  Hope that as I am faithful to what God has called me to, and as I trust Him with the results of my obedience, together we can make things at least a little bit better.  

No comments: