Monday, August 25, 2008

Dedicated to the Glory of God and the Service of Humanity




After I decided to attend American University, I had the opportunity to take a trip to DC with some friends and visit the school.  It was during this visit that Becky pointed out a plaque on the wall stating that the School of International Service at AU was established by the Methodist Church, 'dedicated to the glory of God and the service of humanity.'  I already knew AU was the place for me, but when I read the plaque, I was cut to the quick.  I can't think of a better description of what I hope my life is about than the glory of God and the service of humanity.  

This past Thursday and Friday, I attended the School of International Service (SIS) orientation.  Again and again, I heard deans, professors, and alumni note the uniqueness of the AU program's emphasis on service.  Every time it was mentioned, my insides got happy :-).  This was a big reason I chose AU.  I applied to some other great programs in international affairs, but as I studied and researched and dialogued with others, it came to light that American seemed to embody a greater ethos of service than the others.  Now, I like prestige; power and fame and notoriety will never fail to tempt me.  But in the end, there was no question: given the choice between service and prestige, I choose service (and that is a choice--sometimes harder than others--I must continue to make again and again and again).  I know that the International Peace & Conflict Resolution (IPCR) program may not prepare me for a prestigious and lucrative career, but it will equip me to make a positive contribution to the international community, one that I hope brings glory to God and serves humanity.  

Tomorrow the journey begins as I attend my first class, the oh-so-fascinating-sounding Quantitative Analysis in International Affairs (hey, you gotta be educated in research methods if you wanna save the world!).  I'm nothing but excited.  Here we go!

No comments: