Friday, August 29, 2008

Friends in the City


As I think back on all of my 'leaving Fresno' experiences, I can see how each of them has been so different.  Sometimes I've left with friends, often I've left on my own, usually I've entered into some type of program living with a group of people I'd never met before, but a community of sorts nonetheless.  The move to DC has been unique as well.  I moved here alone, and there has been no community to receive me, but I have friends here!   It's been fun to move into the city, and reconnect with friends already living here, not having to start from scratch when it comes to relationships--as I am so accustomed to doing when I leave!

For one, this seems to be the place for Talas Returned Peace Corps Volunteers to congregate!  I am the fourth Talas RPCV to move to DC this year.  My good friends, Jess, Joe, and Carli live in the city, and I was able to get together with Jess & Carli for dinner and coffee last weekend.  We're looking forward to September, when Jon, Steve, and Machalla are coming out to visit--it will be a verifiable Talas Reunion!

Another K-13 PC friend (actually the first volunteer I met at orientation in Philadelphia), Megan, just moved to DC as well to start at AU in the TESOL program.  I got to meet up with her and go to her housewarming party last Friday.

Then there's Sarah, a girl I did the American Studies Program with in DC in 2003.  She's been living in the city for a few years now, and is actually in her second year in the IPCR program at AU.  I was able to go to church with her on Sunday and have coffee Monday night to chat about IPCR and life in DC.

I'm also looking forward to getting together with Livia, one of my teammates from my DTS outreach to the Philippines 9 years ago.  I had lost touch with her for several years, but recently reconnected with her on Facebook and found out she's living in Maryland, not too far from me.  We're planning on having lunch sometime this coming week.

I love and miss my friends in Fresno (and those scattered around the world!), and no one can ever replace them.  I also have met several new people in my program at AU and am excited for the new relationships that will be forming over the next 2 years.  But there is just something comforting and exciting about already having friends where you live.  Starting from scratch in the social arena can be hard for us introverts!  So I'm just pleased to have a little head start :-).

3 comments:

Sarah Hawkins said...

speaking of friends scattered about, if you ever want to visit beautiful upstate new york, you are welcome!!!

Strand said...

I was never worried about you, but it's great to hear that things are going so well, cuz.

Derek said...

Thank you for not forgetting or replacing us. Haha. I know you are going to have such a great time in the coming weeks, months, and years with all your friends in DC. I can't wait to visit again! Miss you!